SPRINGDALE, N.L. — The Indian River High’s Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) will be celebrating Pride Week from June 4-8.
According to a press release issued Wednesday morning (May 23), the purpose of the week is to “create a safe and inclusive Springdale that supports LGBTQ2+ persons, their friends, families and allies” and showcase that support through activities and events.
Last month, Springdale’s council denied a request from the GSA for a rainbow crosswalk on a street near the school. It set off a chain of events that put them in national spotlight. Council and people of the town came under widespread scrutiny for the decision as well as the online comments and media reports that followed. The school-led organization has continued to seize the opportunity to raise awareness and educate people on inclusion of the LGBTQ community and its allies.
The Town of Springdale is partnering with the group to kick off Pride Week June 4 at 6 p.m. with a proclamation signing and official rainbow pride flag raising at the town hall. The event will be open to all members of the community.
The school GSA and community partners are planning activities throughout the week focusing on education, awareness, community development, creative expression, and fun for the whole family. Further details are expected to be released as planning continues.
“The partnership between the Town of Springdale and the IRH Gender Sexuality Alliance is the result of a productive, open dialogue on the issue of inclusion and both groups have been encouraged by these discussions,” the press release stated. “Together, we are committed to continuing respectful, informed conversations for the betterment of our entire community. It is the intention of both groups to continue to build a sense of belonging, pride and inclusion in our community, while celebrating diversity, appreciating the contributions of all citizens, and making Springdale a stronger, more vibrant community.”
Events and details will be available on the Indian River High School calendar (www.irh.k12.nf.ca) and the Town of Springdale Event Calendar as planning proceeds.
- Springdale council denies request for rainbow crosswalk from Indian River High's Gender Sexuality Alliance
- Road trip to a town divided: How Springdale really feels about the rainbow crosswalk controversy
- Springdale students give presentation on rainbow crosswalk, council to review its request
- The emotions behind the scenes of the rainbow crosswalk controversy in Springdale
- Newfoundland celebrities roast Town of Springdale for rejecting rainbow crosswalk
- Woman behind Baie Verte rainbow crosswalk surprised by controversy in Springdale