As we watch a powerful #WinterStorm slide S of the Avalon, another snowmaker has us in its crosshairs. The next one is not a storm... but it could make your Friday PM commute a little tricky. Details & a #weekend #weather timeline here: https://t.co/QGOXgbxcKF pic.twitter.com/g5gF00Lcxs— Cindy Day (@CindyDayWeather) December 6, 2018
Environment Canada has ended the winter storm warnings for the island portion of the province.
Memorial University's St. John's and Marine Institute (MI) campuses — including the childcare centre — will have a delayed opening of 10 a.m. today. A further update is expected at 8 a.m. Any morning exams have been postponed until Sunday, Dec. 9. MI’s Offshore Safety and Survival Centre will have delayed opening of 10 a.m.
College of the North Atlantic Ridge Road, Prince Philip Drive (including the daycare), and Seal Cove campuses will delay opening until 10 a.m. Placentia campus will re-open at 12:30 p.m. The Burin, Bonavista and Carbonear campuses will reopen at noon with classes resuming at 12:30 p.m.
Our plows are out on city streets.— City of St. John's (@CityofStJohns) December 7, 2018
If you are heading out too, please be aware that plow blades extend beyond the width of the heavy equipment it's attached too.
Give plows space so they can safely clear the roads. #nlwx #nltraffic pic.twitter.com/EaP3lvSwJJ
Travel Alert – December 6: Gander (YQX), St. John's, Newfoundland (YYT). Details, Flight Status & rebook online. Change fees waived: https://t.co/iioc3PWIws.— Air Canada (@AirCanada) December 6, 2018
Closures, cancellations, delayed openings
• The ARNNL Education & Research Trust Awards Ceremony originally scheduled for Friday, December 7th in St. John’s has been postponed due to anticipated adverse weather conditions. Information about the rescheduled ceremony will be shared with recipients when it becomes available.
• The Canadian Red Cross office on Majors Path in St. John's delayed opening today until at least 10:30 a.m.
• All Choices for Youth locations have a delayed opening until 11 a.m.
• All courts in St. John’s, including Supreme Court (General and Family Divisions), Court of Appeal, Provincial Court and the Sheriff’s Office will have a delayed opening of 11 a.m. this morning. Staff to report at 10 a.m.
• Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corporation offices, Rock Spirits and distribution centre will delay opening until 10 a.m.
• There'll be a delayed opening of 11 a.m. for DFO and Canadian Coast Guard facilities and offices in the St. John's.
• Service Canada offices in St. John's will have a delayed opening of 10 a.m.
• The St. John's Public Libraries will have a delayed opening until 10 a.m.
• Town of Portugal Cove-St. Philip's town offices delayed opening of 10:30 a.m.
• The Rooms will have a delayed opening of 11 a.m.
• Provincial Government offices in St. John’s and Mount Pearl have a delayed opening of 10 a.m.
• The Works — including the Aquarena and MUN Field House — will delay opening until 8 a.m. Friday.
• All Paradise recreation facilities will close at 8 p.m. Thursday and have a delayed opening of 8 a.m. Friday.
• Paradise waste collection area 5B recycling collection postponed. Garbage collection proceeding as scheduled.
• Conception Bay South has decided to cancel morning programming at the C.B.S. Arena and C.B.S. Recreation Complex for Friday, including the morning walking track and the Adult Early Bird leisure swim.
• C.B.S. is also advising residents in waste collections areas 4A and 4B delayed.
• Mount Pearl The Glacier and Summit Centre in Mount Pearl will close at 8 p.m. tonight and reopen at 9 am. Friday. City Hall and other facilities are scheduled to open on time.
• Mount Pearl garbage and recycling collection scheduled for Friday has been re-scheduled for collection on Monday, December 10.
Off the Avalon
• College of the North Atlantic Carbonear, Burin & Bonavista campuses closed for the morning. Update at 10:30 a.m.
More to come