Top News

UPDATE: Signal Hill fence coming down

CBC "Here & Now" reporter Meg Roberts and cameraman Gary Locke prepare a news story for the Wednesday evening supper-hour newscast on the controversial new fence next to the Signal Hill Visitor Information Centre on Wednesday afternoon. Parks Canada said Wednesday it will remove the fence.
A local television reporter does records a standup near the fence on Signal Hill. Parks Canada says it will remove the fence and replace it with a temporary structure that will only be put in place during performances. - SaltWire File Photo

Parks Canada says it will use a temporary barrier during Signal Hill Tattoo and other performances

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. —

In a news release issued late Wednesday, Parks Canada stated the fence near the Signal Hill Visitors Centre will be removed by the end of the week. 

By Thursday morning, workers had already begun disassembling the much-maligned barrier.

“While the fence was intended to address safety concerns and improve the experience for visitors during the Signal Hill Tattoo and other performances, the current solution clearly missed the mark,” read a statement from Parks Canada. 

“In response to the feedback we have received, Parks Canada will aim to achieve those objectives in a way that does not block the incredible view from Signal Hill. The existing fence will be taken down this week and replaced with a temporary structure that will only be put in place during performances.”

The short-lived structure was installed to prevent people from walking on the Tattoo field during performances, St. John’s Tattoo CEO Jim Lynch told The Telegram on Tuesday. 

“We had a number of incidents where people heard musket or cannon fire and walked right onto the field into the line of fire,” Lynch said. 

Parks Canada stated the new measure will address safety concerns and preserve the historic view. 

RELATED: 

Recent Stories