A large backyard garage in Tors Cove and at least one ATV were destroyed by fire Saturday night.
The blaze was apparently sparked as someone worked on an ATV inside the garage. After the fire started, several other ATVs were saved by people who pushed them out of the building.
When the Witless Bay Volunteer Fire Department firefighters arrived on scene, the building was fully engulfed in flames. Using water from the department’s tanker truck, they were able to extinguish the fire in short order but not before the garage was destroyed.
There were no injuries and none of the nearby homes were damaged.