Top News

Over $4.4 million being invested in ice management system in Arnold’s Cove geared at maintaining quality cod

A bucket of codfish is loaded from a fisherman’s boat.
Saltwire Network file photo

A multi-million dollar investment is being made in a world class ice management system at Icewater Seafoods in Arnold’s Cove.

Icewater will contribute 25 per cent or $1,224,350 of the total project cost of $4,454,000. The Atlantic Fisheries Fund will contribute the remaining 75 per cent, or $3,229,650, in the form of a conditionally repayable loan.

This state-of-the-art ice management system is phase two of a multi-million dollar, multi-year investment program for Icewater Seafoods. It was noted in a press release from the company that it “allows Icewater Seafoods to maintain its position as one of the few world class producers of North Atlantic cod in the world.”

“One of the most important things in our business is that fish remains as cold as possible from the moment its caught until it reaches our customers,” explained Alberto Wareham, president and CEO of Icewater Seafoods. “We monitor temperature of the fish daily at every stage of the production process.

“Similarly, when our customers visit the plant from around the world, they come with temperature probes.”

Wareham noted this investment will equip Icewater with the latest technology in ice management, meaning more, colder and better-quality ice throughout the plant year-round, while also being able to freeze their products faster and more energy efficient.

“It signals to our premium European customers that Icewater Seafoods, and Canada, are committed to producing the highest quality cod they demand,” he said.

Wareham attributes Icewater’s position as the only year-round fish processing operation in North America focused on North Atlantic cod production to their “relentless focus and commitment to quality.”

Wareham spoke of the commitment from government in investing in this project and their recognizing “what it means to continue to be leading edge, to be competitive and relevant in world markets.”

“They know what it means to Arnold’s Cove, to Newfoundland and Labrador and to Canada,” he said. “Without them, without their support, we wouldn’t be delivering quality seafood from Newfoundland and Labrador to premium world markets.”

Despite the ups and downs in cod stocks, Wareham is optimistic about the future of the fishery and “is committed to the people of Icewater Seafoods continuing to be an integral part of that future.”

Recent Stories